Skip to main content

Slice of Life: Book Life

I can get so involved in a book that I lose touch with reality, so much so that coming back to real life feels more like reading a list.

  1. Make dinner
  2. Tidy up
  3. Grade papers
  4. Then you may go back to your life––in a book. 
I can always tell when things in my real life aren't sitting right with me because I have trouble getting into a book. I start them and don't finish them. I wander a bookstore and don't come home with anything. It feels uncomfortable and makes me angry. Like, "Listen life, I need my books! So you better wise up and get easier." Picture me shaking my fist at the sky.

Recently I've been working hard to make some changes in my life and it's clearly affected my reading life. I've picked up and put down no less than five books over the past month. I've started watching my nemesis––TV.
While visiting my mother this weekend, I sat in front of her bookshelf desperate to find something that worked for where I was, in this moment, in my life. Then I saw it,
A book that I, myself, had purchased for my mother to read. Mostly I bought the book because I went to high school with the author and wanted to be sure his book sales increased, but when I looked at its book flap I got that weird tug that happens when I'm about to go into a book life that matters. So I took it home and I can't stop reading it. Even when I'm back in reality, I'm thinking about Lilliet, the main character who is fascinating and holds a bit of every girl within her––or maybe not. I won't speak for all women, but she's got a whole lotta me in her, that's for sure.

Alex Chee is a master at adding historical research in at points where you need to orient yourself to the geographical location (sometimes Paris, sometimes Minnesota, sometimes New York) and what was happening globally at the end of the 19th century in the world of Opera. His details about clothing and cultural expectations pull me in even closer. I want to know more. I make mental notes and wish I had better strategies for tracking my reading thinking. For once, I am thrilled that there are over 500 pages. I want to stay here a while. I find myself telling time by the chapter or page. As in, "I will start dinner after page 148." Then I hide my book pages so my children, who are starving at this point, won't see that I'm on 157.


Comments

  1. Loved your post - because I can so relate. Now it is my husband that I tell - almost done this chapter - only to read til I'm finished (and it is 3 am!)The book sounds intriguing - will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I found another book to add to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post; personal but so very universal for readers -- losing "touch with reality" and living the "book life" and "I want to stay here a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New title to me - and yes I know that feeling. I just sunk back into Barbara Kingsolver's books. I hated for them to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that ending, Kim! I often have several books going so that I can choose which I'm in the mood for. Perhaps for all readers, this mercurial reading life is what it is, sometimes immersed, sometimes wandering. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have stopped screen time before bed and make time to read. My brain is calmer and I sleep better. I;ve seen this book around, now I have a reason to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dr. Seuss shirt today says "Reading is my Thing." It came up as an offer on Facebook that obviously knows everything about me. Except this. I, too, have trouble committing to a book. Once I do, it's hard to do anything else. I'm glad you found a just right book for your week off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that my world is askew when I can't get into a book...any book. Thanks for suggesting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a delicious thing to be in a book. I love the way you know why you are having trouble and how you describe THE nemesis... TV. So, so true. Glad you found the book for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh! Sounds so good!
    Loved how you wrote about your reading life right now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Writing Short, Day 1

I've taken a new position. I'm now an editor and writer at a company called We Are Teachers. I do some article writing for them, but I also write very short pieces designed for emails or giveaways. I didn't think I'd like this kind of work, but I do! It brings me back to the importance of knowing how to write short. I've talked about this before, but here's the book I'm referencing:
And thank you, Roy Peter Clark, for soothing my guilt about writing specifically for the Tweet. In “How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times,” this amazing writer praises Twitter’s 140-character limit as a tool for “intelligent cutting.”
So, as a way to get better at my new craft, I'm re-reading his book and actually doing the activities at the end of each chapter. The first: Practice writing plain sentences that contain a grace note, one interesting word that stands out. ___________________________________________
As did Proteus, I move forward into change. I figure, I …

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…